Friday, July 25, 2008

the sound of magic

So I'm sitting here at my dining table, trying to buckle down and get some studying done.... only I have made a grave mistake by putting on a particular CD in the living room-"The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration". You see, a million years ago,being the fan of Spielberg movies that my parents knew me to be, they found me this CD during one of their routine jaunts to the record store. It was perfect. I recall the first time I listened to it, and as cringe worthy as this next bit threatens to sound, I have to say that the sound was overwhelming, literally,... it really did feel absolutely magical. So here I was 10 minutes before starting this post, slowly slipping into a John Williams' induced hypnotic state as I remembered each movie, the first time I watched them, with whom, where ......some of the most amazing scenes from these films.... at which point the idea for this entry sprung to mind....

So ...... here it is, in no particular order...... my most beloved movie themes-

1) E.T. (John Williams)
2) EMPIRE OF THE SUN ( John Williams)
3) RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (John Williams)
4) SCHINDLER'S LIST (John Williams)
5) ALWYAS (John Williams)
6) JURASSIC PARK (John Williams)
7) STAR WARS (John Williams)
8) BACK TO THE FUTURE (Alan Silvestri)
9) CHARIOTS OF FIRE (Vangelis)
10) DANCES WITH WOLVES (John Barry)
11) OUT OF AFRICA (John Barry)
12) THE MISSION (Ennio Morricone)
13) YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (John Barry)
14) THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (Elmer Bernstein)
15) BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (John Williams)


Whether its on horseback through the Western wilderness, over the moon with E.T. or flying over flamingoes in Africa, every single one of these soundtracks have left indelible echoes in my subconscious and undoubtedly in millions of others too.

These are the sounds of Greatness, Adventure, Infinity, Romance, Idealism, Amazement... and Magic!

Music that will always manage to make me tear and baptize with goosebumps....lots and lots of GOOSEBUMPS!!!!

No comments: